We all have at some point have burnt microwave, right? Luckily, there are literally a number of ways to make them look and smell fresh, that too with just the things that are lying around in your kitchen. So if your microwave oven is looking as if a science experiment went sideways, it’s time to put a little elbow grease to work.
Heavy built-up of burnt food residue can affect the efficiency of the microwave so it’s better that we clean them right away without giving it a second thought. Also always make sure you disconnect the microwave before you put damp clothes or wipes into the microwave to clean, because safety is a prime concern for us.
Supplies you may need
- Lemon, orange or lime slices
- Distilled white vinegar
- Baking soda
- Diishwashing liquid with degreasing ingredients
- Cleaning sponge
Tools you may need
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Microfiber Cloth
- Dishwasher/ sink
Prepare the microwave for cleaning
- Disconnect the power cable of the microwave from the outlet, as safety is our primary concern.
- If the microwave is a countertop model, put a rug or paper beneath the microwave to avoid any damage to the countertop by the cleaners, this is also an easy way to avoid the need for cleaning the countertops later.
- In case you have a removable turntable or tray, put them in a dishwasher or sink and clean using dish soap.
- Now, remove any crumbs from inside the microwave using a brush or dishcloth smoothly.
- You can also wipe away any spills or splattering inside the microwave using the dishcloth.
- So, the microwave is now left with hard stains and burnt odors to be removed.
Best methods to clean burnt microwave stains
Depending upon what you have readily available at your home, you can choose the best option you want to begin with. We will list the methods in order of increasing difficulty. Just kidding it’s all going to be easy peasy for you.
01 Lemon steaming method
- Add several slices of lemon (or lemon juice) and water into a microwavable bowl and place them inside of your microwave
- Turn on the microwave and heat the mix on high power until it boils and the inside of the oven is coated with enough steam
- Turn the oven off and leave it for five minutes before opening the door
- Remove the bowl and wipe clean the inside with a microfiber towel or sponge
- Wipe the microwave door also, to clean any residue
You can also use lemon or any other citrus fruits like orange for this.
02 Vinegar steam treatment
- Mix some distilled white vinegar (apple cider vinegar is also fine) and an equal cup of water in a microwavable bowl.
- Keep the mixture inside of the microwave and heat the mix on high heat until the solution boils and steam up the oven.
- Turn off the oven and leave it for five minutes before opening the door.
- Remove the bowl and wipe clean the inside with a microfiber towel or sponge.
- Do not forget to Wipe the door of the microwave too.
In case these easy tricks are not enough to remove the tough stains, its time that we resort to stronger methods.
03 Vinegar and Baking soda method
- With the loose stains and splatters wiped away, we can put some action on the tough stains left on the interior of the microwave.
- Fill a spray bottle with warm distilled white vinegar. Spray the problem areas with this vinegar.
- then, sprinkle on baking soda so that it sticks onto the misted vinegar. You can see that they immediately start foaming. When the foaming action stops, wipe the area using a sponge or microfiber towel.
- You can also add a circular motion to rub away even stickier leftovers if any, use the abrasive action of baking soda to rescue.
- If some stubborn stains are not yet worn away, you can use pure acetone nail polish remover(fingernail polish remover)
Cleaning the Microwave door
The most microwave comes with glassy doors, its difficult fr the greasy built up using steam methods. So in order to clean the door mix a teaspoon of dish soap in a bowl of hot water. Dip the sponge and wring until just damp. Now wipe the door top to bottom occasionally rinsing the sponge. Use a clean cloth rinsed in fresh water for final cleaning.
For cleaning the rubber gasket around the door, first, spray the distilled white vinegar into it, sprinkle the baking soda into the area. Now as the baking soda starts foaming, use a suitable scrub brush to gently give a brushing. Finish by wiping off with a damp cloth soaked in water.
To clean the outside of the oven use a mix of dish soap and warm water or any commercial cleaners. Wipe the surface with soapy water or all purpose cleaner using a damp sponge. Now once all the area is covered, use a wet paper towel or soft cloth to wipe off. Buff the surface with a microfiber cloth once dried.
Steps to remove burnt food odor.
The burnt smell of popcorn can be quite gruesome, nobody wants it around when you open the microwave to freshly heat something. Even after all the wiping and steaming if there still exists this smoke smell, you can try the following techniques and eliminate the unpleasant odors.
Vanilla extract and water
Mix 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract in half a cup of water and place them inside the clean microwave. Now turn on the microwave and heat in high power for five-minutes. You will see the interior of your microwave covered in steam. Now leave the microwave for 20 minutes. comeback and wipe clean to find out how amazing your microwave smells.
Coffee grounds and water
Used coffee grounds can be kept in the microwave interior even in a coffee mug to remove unpleasant smells.
Baking soda as an odor absorber
Another best way to remove the burnt food smell or smoke odor is to place a new box of baking soda inside the microwave overnight. This will absorb the bad odors. you can also keep this box inside the microwave till the next time you use the oven.
Remember regular maintenance is the key to keeping your kitchen appliances and the entire kitchen stays fresh always. Good Luck with your cleaning.